Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

3 Things I Do When I'm Struggling

Hey Movement Church!  My heart is heavy for you today.  I know that many of you are struggling.  Some are struggling spiritually.  Some physically.  Some emotionally.  And most financially.

I want you to know that I understand your struggle, because at times I struggle in all those areas as well.

Here's what I do...

When I'm struggling, this is what I try to do:
  1. Get alone with Jesus. Obvious, huh?  Not so fast.  If you've ever done this regularly and sincerely, with the understanding that you're broken and He's your only solution, then you'd know how hard this is to do.  Listen to me, 1,000 hours of your effort and stressful toil can NEVER outdo what GOD can do in your heart in a single moment!  When I force myself to get with Him something supernatural happens, and suddenly I begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
  2. Talk to my spouse.  I tend to carry things that are stressful by myself. I usually use the excuse that I'm the man, and it's my job, but that's not totally true. Jesus gave me a helper (Genesis 2:18).  So, I've learned to share my burdens with my wife, not expecting her to fix them, but desiring her to simply listen, hold me, and pray for me. Sometimes that makes all the difference. You may not have a spouse, but I bet you have a friend.  Remember this: A problem shared is a problem halved.
  3. Realize everything is a season. Just as we witness colors changing, leavings falling, and colder nights, we also experience different seasons in our own lives. This is biblical (Ecc. 3:1).  This comforts me, because I understand that if I'm in a dry season (which I currently am), that if I hold on, Spring rains are coming!  God allows us to go through difficult seasons for 2 reasons: 1) To intentionally and lovingly grow our faith, trust, and dependance upon Him.  We cannot forget that He's our Heavenly Father; He loves us; and He really desires to have a relationship with us.  In  tough seasons, let's be honest, we seek Him more. 2) To give us perspective.  If it were 90 degrees and sunny EVERYDAY, we'd all soon come to expect it and take it for granted. But those of us who live in NEO have come to appreciate summertime, because we've experienced brutal winters.  Well, the same principle applies to our lives.  If we've been through Hell, hopefully we'll have a greater appreciation of Heaven.
I want you to know that I'm doing my best to pray for you regularly. If anyone can fix it, God can. If anyone can make it better, God can. If anyone can get you through it, God can.  I'll leave you with just one verse to consider this week.  I pray it ignites your faith:

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. --Matthew 6:33

Pastor Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment