Search This Blog

Friday, December 7, 2012

"Your Sex Takes Me to Paradise," Uhh, Probably Not!

Pop Culture seeks to bend and shape us into a line of thinking that replaces Jesus, the God of the Cosmos, for a far less superior object to give ourselves to.  For example,  people make billions of dollars offering various diets, sex, get-rich-quick schemes, plastic surgery, food, and drugs to provide "escape" from  the "hell" we find ourselves in.

Why am I writing this?
  1. So you can understand people in order to better reach them with Christ
  2. So you don't bend toward culture, but you bend culture toward Christ
With that said, I'll give you a perfect example of what I mean.  On my way home, Bruno Mars' song called Locked Out of Heaven, came on the radio.  It blew my mind.  Here's the lyrics:

Lyrics :

Verse 1
Never had much faith in love or miracles
Never wanna put my heart on the line
But swimming in your water is something spiritual
I'm born again every time you spend the night

Verse 2
You bring me to my knees
You make me testify
You can make a sinner change his ways
Open up your gates cause I can't wait to see the light
And right there is where I wanna stay


Chorus
'Cause your sex takes me to paradise
Yeah, your sex takes me to paradise
And it shows, yeah, yeah, yeah
'Cause you make me feel like, I've been locked out of heaven
For too long, for too long
Yeah, you make me feel like, I've been locked out of heaven
For too long, for too long

The Problem:
This is a worship song about a naked woman who offers to satisfy a man's sexual lusts with her "open...gates."  For him, this sexual exchange is the key to heaven/paradise, and now Bruno has become a worship leader, singing praises to his goddess.

The Truth:
What happens if this woman ever closes her "heavenly gates," or this man simply grows tired of the view?  He will look to another woman to rescue him from his "erotic hell," and the nasty cycle will never end.

Jesus makes a much better God than sex.  Unlike culture, He doesn't use you and then discard you like a used Tampon in a trash can. He doesn't walk out on you in your time of greatest need.  He doesn't enter this relationship based on what you can give Him, but based on what He can give to you (Romans 5:6-8).

My heart breaks for the lost.  My hope is that God would somehow use you and me to reach them with the TRUTH that will set them free (John 8:32).

Please bring someone who needs to be set free to church with you this Sunday.

I love you!

Pastor Jeremy



No comments:

Post a Comment